Just enough time left to squeak it in under the wire, but the end is looming. Very soon, the gate closes and the judging can begin. Please, join us in celebrating the King of the Monsters Contest. Get your submission in now.
All you have to do is design your monster. The submission must…
- Be sent to the King of the Monsters Contest no later than Tuesday, December 1st, by noon PST. (Impact danger in 5-4-3-… !)
- Be submitted as a doc, docx, or rtf attachment.
- Read KotM Submission [insert monster name] in the email subject line, and the email should contain your full name and contact information.
- Be designed for 3rd Edition D&D, 4th Edition D&D, or Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.
- Be 800 words or less and contain 1 full statblock (no more, no less) and the appropriate flavor text and lore to flesh out your creation. (You should look to previously published Monday Monsters for insight about format and structure. The quick drake and terror bird are good examples—but with only one statblock.) …
We are looking for monsters of all kinds and all levels. Even a CR 1/4 reptilian humanoid can rise to be king.
All submissions that meet the criteria will be entered in the contest and be judged by us, the Kobolds, and special guest judge extraordinaire Jeff Grubb on originality, effective writing and design, and “fun.” The 10 best monsters will be published as Monday Monsters and be voted on by the public. Of those 10 monsters, the one with the winning votes will be crowned King of the Monsters in February 2010.
Prizes for the King
As the king, the winning monster will have its portrait commissioned, and this beautiful art will be displayed to the public in the winner’s announcement. In addition, its designer will receive a free print and PDF copy of their choice of the Zobeck Gazetteers, and the King of the Monsters will be published in a future issue of Kobold Quarterly. It’s good to be the king.
1. The contest is open to all.
2. One entry per person.
3. By entering this contest, you authorize the use of your name and/or likeness without additional compensation for promotion and/or advertising purposes in all media.
4. All entries become property of Open Design and may be published on KQ.com without prior notice or additional compensation.
5. This contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws where applicable.
6. Open Design reserves the right to withdraw or terminate this contest at any time without prior notice.
7. All decisions of Open Design and the contest judges are final.