This is the final entry of Secrets of the Emerald Order. Past entries provided material for both the player and the GM: an arcane tradition, background, new magic items and spells, a monster, and NPCs. This one provides a set piece for the GM to develop and use in play. Whether it becomes a base of operations for PC members of the Emerald Order or the target of adventurers seeking to raid and eliminate an Emerald Order locale is up to you.
The Gyrfalcon Repository
Built of whitewashed sandstone, this compound stands on a lonely plateau in the arid hills southwest of Corremel in Nuria Natal. The repository is about an hour’s walk from the main trade route. A prominent domed building rings a central garden decorated with statuary of the birds that give the place its name. This structure and a few small outbuildings are surrounded by high walls with entry barred by stout gates of acacia wood bound in bronze. To the outside world, the Gyrfalcon Repository presents itself as a monastery home to a handful of reclusive scholars. They do not announce their presence, but some local sages and nobles know of its existence. Those who know of it occasionally visit for research purposes. The followers of Thoth that live there gladly provide access to their collection of books and scrolls, acting as humble hosts while hiding the true purpose of the place.
The Gyrfalcon Repository is an Emerald Order stronghold, built to hold a secret library of arcane writings based on the study of the Emerald Tablets of Thoth-Hermes. In hidden chambers beneath the monastery are also laboratories where members of the order come to conduct experiments and research new spells, using the materials stored on-site. A dozen lesser members reside here as scholarly monks, doing the day-to-day tasks and presenting the public face of the repository and acting as guards. (Use the stats for a spy for most of them. One or more could be infiltrators from the previous chapter.) In addition, when the main building was constructed, a willing sacrifice was interred within one of the pillars in the building’s chapel, their soul becoming an immured.
While one of the resident agents of the Emerald Order poses as the abbot, the person actually in charge of the Gyrfalcon is Henut, a skilled wizard and recent entry into the Emerald Order’s inner circle. She was charged with the building, maintenance, and guarding of the repository to test her loyalty and ability. Thus far, she has proven herself capable and loyal.
Medium humanoid (human), lawful evil
Armor Class 12 (15 with mage armor)
Hit Points 49 (9d8 + 9)
Speed 30 ft.
|10 (+0)||14 (+2)||12 (+1)||17 (+3)||13 (+1)||11 (+0)|
Saving Throws Intelligence +6, Wisdom +4
Skills Arcana +6, History +6
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Akeshelian, Common, Draconic, Nurian
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Key of Time. When Henut casts haste, the affected creature suffers no lethargy as described in the spell. When she casts slow, all affected creatures take disadvantage on subsequent saving throws to end the spell’s effects. With both spells, if Henut’s concentration is broken before the end of the spell’s duration, the spell effects last for 1 additional round before ending.
Spellcasting. Henut is a 9th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). Henut has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): light, mending, message, poison spray
- 1st level (4 slots): grease, mage armor, magic missile, shield
- 2nd level (3 slots): invisibility, suggestion
- 3rd level (3 slots): emerald mantle*, fly, slow
- 4th level (3 slots): attune vibrations*, black tentacles
- 5th level (1 slot): lightning bolt
*These spells are found in a previous chapter.
Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
Henut’s spells are written in a shadow tome. The illusory script inside makes it appear to be a partially completed historical treatise
Adventure Hooks for the Gyrfalcon Repository
Adventurers can be enticed to visit the place in a variety of ways. Here are a few examples to get you started:
- The adventurers are foes of the Emerald Order or have been hired by their enemies. They travel to the Gyrfalcon Repository to find and raid the order’s research and magic. For added difficulty, they may wish to or be ordered to take a prisoner from whom the order’s secrets can be coerced.
- A prominent sage-priest from Per-Bastet has gone missing. The adventurers are hired to find him. During their investigations, they discover their quarry had planned a trip to a remote monastery to do research. Indeed, the sage-priest did go to the Gyrfalcon Repository. While there, he stumbled upon the Emerald Order’s secret library. Now he is being held captive until Henut decides how to deal with him.
- The adventurers are members of, or working for, the Emerald Order. The immured that guards the Gyrfalcon Repository has gone rogue, killing or driving off the residents. This can only mean that Henut, who performed the ritual that created the undead guardian, has broken the deal made to attain the sacrifice’s consent. They are tasked to either defeat the immured and remove its mortal remains so that the order can reclaim the site or to set things right and reinstate the pact. In fact, Henut has betrayed the order. She purposely forsook the deal so the immured would rampage, covering her theft of arcane knowledge and secret flight from the repository.