Gleam shards are small splinters of the massive crystal found at the blurred edge between the Abyss and raw chaos. They are 3-ft.-long crystalline structures that shift their coloration every few seconds, hurting the eyes of witnesses as they do so. They are content to serve and die for other beings, as long as it brings chaos.
Gleam Shard Lore
Arcana DC 10: The gleam shard is similar to chaos shards. They are a newly discovered member of that family of sentient crystals.
Arcana DC 16: Gleam shards have a basic sentience and seem to be willing to allow themselves to be killed if their death is of benefit to their allies…
Arcana DC 21: When a gleam shard dies, its sentience goes back to the legendary shard that spawned the Abyss. Presumably, the parent crystal grows ever stronger when this happens.
Gleam Shard (Level 6 Minion Artillery)
Small elemental magical beast XP 70
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +4; darkvision
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion
AC 18, Fortitude 19, Reflex 17, Will 16
Immune disease, poison
Speed 6, fly 4 (hover)
[M] Scintillating Shard (standard; at-will) • Radiant
+11 vs. Reflex; 4 radiant damage
[c] Scintillating Shatter (when reduced to 0 hp)
The shard leaves behind a random static effect in the square where it dies until the end of the encounter.
- Pillar of Force—Square is impassable and blocks line of sight
- Fire Pool—Anyone passing through the square gains ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
- Lightning Pool—Anyone passing through the square takes 5 lightning damage
- Black Sludge Pool—Anyone moving adjacent to or through the square is slowed (save ends)
- Dissolving Burst—The square and its adjacent squares are now difficult terrain
- Shadow Pool—Anyone within the square or adjacent to it is weakened
Alignment Chaotic Evil Languages Abyssal
Str 16 (+6) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 12 (+4)
Con 19 (+7) Int 4 (+0) Cha 15 (+5)
Gleam shards move into melee as soon as possible. If they are working with other sentient beings, they will position themselves for maximum effect upon their deaths.
Gleam shards are often used by chaos creatures that gather them for the power they possess. They are seen more as tools than sentient creatures.
Encounter Level 7 (XP 1,400):
- 1 barlgura (level 8 brute)
- 2 death shards (level 8 artillery)
- 5 gleam shards (level 6 minion artillery)