The glint of light on a clearwater pond could dazzle eyes, but it might be what’s in the pond that really snags the attention of any nearby player characters. Again, these details are easily noted by those who end up swimming in the pond (for whatever reason) or, in some cases, while approaching it, and you can use them as starting points to flesh out some other interesting things if the player characters choose to look around a bit more. If you want to roll randomly for one, use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- A rainbow springs forth from the pond and up into the sky. Where does it end? When does it end? Is it a constant feature of the pond?
- The stars that are reflected in this pond do not match the ones above it on clear nights. On cloudy nights, the pond itself glows softly.
- The stony bottom of the pond has outcroppings of a variety of quartz sticking upward. Not fun for bare feet! When touched, each quartz outcropping vibrates. What would happen if the water from the pond were drained out?
- Someone placed a series of what seems like coral in the pond, and fish of all hues dart in and around the area. Do some of the fish have a humanoid torso?
- A series of opaque black stepping stones lead across the pond. When you step on one, the stone rises into the air, as does the next, and the next—leading upward, but to what?
- A tiny water sprite dances across the pond. When it sees you, it dives back into the water.
- The pond’s water has a pink hue to it. When the water is touched, the color bleeds out of the pond and turns the one touching the water pink.
- The icon of a nearly forgotten dark deity sits at the bottom of the pond. Every few minutes, the pond turns inky black, then clears up again within seconds.
- You’re not sure, but the pond seems to be creeping closer to you when you aren’t looking at it directly.
- The area smells like coconut and vanilla. If the water is tasted, it tastes like coconut and vanilla.
- The bottom of the pond seems to be a very large clock, complete with minute, hour, and second hands moving along as you’d expect.
- All the silver fish in this pond swim in a circle (clockwise) on the outer edge. All the gold fish in this pond swim in a circle (widdershins) around the middle. The center of the pond has a stone from which a deciduous tree grows. Silver and gold fruit hang from the branches.