Lockets secure all manner of small things, but not all of them have the usual items within them. You can roll randomly for a result below, or use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- A small bit of leaf from an oak tree shimmers and springs to life, catching a mysterious breeze and growing into a statuesque tree in moments. A dryad peeks down at you from the leaves of the tree.
- A tiny origami crane has been pressed into the locket. Upon closer look, you see that the crane is crafted from metal.
- An owl-shaped coin rests within the locket. What nation did this coin come from? And why an owl?
- Powder in the locket sparkles and then begins to glow so brightly that you are nearly blinded.
- The locket contains a very small hole into another place. Is it another dimension or a specific location within your world?
- A tiny doll springs forth, wielding two daggers, and attempts to enter your eye, daggers-first.
- The scent of cinnamon wafts through the air when you open the locket, but it is otherwise empty.
- The heart-shaped locket, when open, oozes blood.
- The entire locket sprouts sharp metal spikes, piercing the skin of any who hold it. A poison takes hold. What does it do?
- Music, discordant and wild, erupts when the locket is opened, and any who hear the music can see the true shape of the reality around them in all its harshness and dark truths. (GMs can either have this be as written or be the mindset of madness that sets in as those hearing the music start experiencing altered states.)
- A simple mirror shines within the locket, but the thing it reflects back is not really you. It’s almost like you, but the movements seem off, and the likeness resembles a caricature.
- A simple word, etched into the metal inside the locket, awaits you: Die!