Seeking the higher ground to learn more about your surroundings is something adventurers do from time to time. Of course, they might not be the first people to attempt to reach that perch. You can roll randomly for a result below, use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- There are a series of notches carved into the surface under your feet. The rune for death is in the middle of them all.
- Someone left a lot of dice up here. Each die is a different color. [When in the dark, each die has a faint glow that matches its hue.]
- A bunch of tin stars are scattered about the area. Each one has the name of a ruler or military leader on them. One is crumpled — it’s the one with the most recently assassinated leader. But why were all the others left behind?
- Birds love this place. These aggressive, territorial birds have a way of screeching that sets your teeth on edge.
- You can hear the words of everyone below you.
- Despite the light around you, your vision has gained an acuity that allows you to see everything within a mile of that location with detail that your brain can barely process.
- Just above your head, a shining portal forms. Is something about to drop through it?
- The corpse that is up here has been here for long enough that its bones are picked clean. Why is this nocturnal humanoid corpse here? How did it die?
- As soon as you draw a full breath in this space, you have a sense of movement, which gives you vertigo—even if you’re not normally prone to such things.
- In the distance, you see another vantage point that might be useful. Even as you see it, it’s like your body leaped over to it, and now you can see everything around that other point.
- Three bouncy goblinoids start scurrying toward your roost. They look eager to meet you.
- Silvery lizards scatter when you arrive, fleeing into crevices. One turns to look at you, and you could swear that it looked at you with intelligence in its eyes. Then it vanishes.