When the adventurers sleep or meditate, dreams, visions, or nightmares can bring them messages. Some might even leave behind a physical remnant for the adventurers. You can roll randomly for a result below, or use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- The chills that suffused you and held you immobile end. You wake up with black ropes wrapped around you. They emanate cold.
- The silvered thorns that pierced your hands and feet, causing you pain in your nightmare, are piercing you when you awaken. No blood is coming from the wounds, though.
- The creature that smothered you and silenced your screams becomes a thick map. On it is a location marked “Well of Damned Souls.”
- Everyone who ran away from you in horror in your nightmare comes to mind when you find a mirror in your hand. If you look at yourself with it, you see yourself, but your expression is twisted in an expression of savage glee, and your eyes glow with an infernal fire.
- You are falling from a great height and trying to reach out to anything that will stop you from falling. You wake up, and you are floating 5 ft. above the ground, face down. Under you, just before you feel as if you are about to drop, you see a delicate crystal skull.
- You wake up just before the thing chasing you catches up with you. In your hand, you are grasping a note: “I am coming for you.”
- No matter how hard you looked in your dream, you just could not find the right book that you so desperately needed. When you wake up, you are clutching a leatherbound tome to your chest. Each page is empty.
- The webs that entangled you in your dream grow tighter around you when you struggle to break free. You know something is coming to eat you. When you wake up, thousands of tiny spiders scurry off you.
- No matter what you say, people do not believe your innocence in this nightmare. Upon waking, you find that you have no voice, but you are clasping a silver bell. Nearby, a piece of parchment is held down by a shimmering purple stone. It says: “Ring the bell to speak, but speak only the truth or you will forever lose your voice. Succeed at this for 24 hours, and you will be granted a boon.”
- The mount under you keeps gaining speed, and you have no control over it. You wake up when you realize that your only choice is to throw yourself off your mount. Upon waking, the mount is standing over you, and it is clearly winded. A note wrapped around a piece of its tack states: “Return me to my owner, but do not ride me again.”
- You come back to your shared home only to find that the one you love has vanished. You are left holding the thing your loved one requested you acquire. Upon waking, you feel bereft, abandoned, and heartbroken. Next to you sits a stuffed black bear. A note pinned to it states: “That which makes up this bear is needed. You will instinctively know who needs it. Deliver this bear to that person, and you will have surcease of your added sorrow.”
- The precious item that you threw to the floor breaks into countless pieces. You realize your mistake now—breaking it damages your cause grievously. You hear these words: “You proudly break things apart. Do you have the ability to put things back together?” When you wake, these words are ringing in your head, and you are lying amid the broken pieces of an object you cannot identify.