Because gifts aren’t always straightforward, here are some ideas for what ELSE might end up in a box for adventurers, whether naughty or nice. You can roll randomly for a result below, or use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- A half-eaten cookie and several crumbs remain within this cookie tin. The cookie glows faintly every few seconds.
- Five mice are playing tiny stringed instruments in the box upon its opening.
- A glittery snow globe featuring your most recent successful adventure location nestles within white paper and silver confetti.
- A threadbare tabard with the symbol of your most recent foe is neatly folded and pressed within the box.
- Quite possibly the ugliest set of mittens you’ve ever seen is contained within this plain box. And yet, somehow, you cannot look away. And they look so warm and soft!
- A collection of sausages from across the known world is in this box.
- A miniature winter wonderland greets your eyes, complete with an iced pond with skaters, several snowmen,a group of singers, and an oncoming army of misfit toys.
- A wind-up toy comes to life as you open the box. Its glowing green eyes and rather prodigious set of teeth catch your attention right before it leaps at you.
- Peanut brittle. Lots and lots of peanut brittle. Does it ever end? Does the concept of unending peanut brittle even bother you?
- The box contains a mound of dark earth with a small tree within it. Upon opening, the tree begins to grow visibly, and lights start to twinkle upon it. Perhaps you’d better find a more permanent place for this tree.
- A note rests within an empty box: Congratulations! You are now the owner of an Invisible Gingerbread Person. Your Invisible Gingerbread Person is also a Silent Invisible Gingerbread Person at the request of the one who purchased this gift for you. Please note: Invisible Gingerbread Person does not react well to being eaten, taunted, or used as an ornament, so please refrain from these activities, or even mentioning these activities, around your Invisible Gingerbread Person. Your Invisible Gingerbread Person is eager to meet you!* [*Upon opening this box, you become fully responsible for your Invisible Gingerbread Person and any activities in which it partakes.]
- One large green gumdrop sits in the middle of the box. When it is eaten, another gumdrop of the same size but a slightly different color shows up.