Tell us about a monster to win BOOKS!
RPG monsters are the greatest thing ever! (Fight me!)
For real, who doesn’t love monsters. They were literally the thing that drew me into RPGs, and there will never be enough of them. The My Monster flash monster contest is your chance to show off yours! And for this contest, we’re going into the dungeon…
Share a description (up to 60 words) of your monster with us, and a panel of judges will pick out four finalists to post on the Kobold Press website, and then we’ll ask the public to vote on the entry they think should win the grand prize! Your monster should be a dungeon denizen, and your entry should take the form of a monster entry’s descriptive text, such as this one for the bloody bones monster from the Creature Codex:
A long-limbed, pale humanoid with a skinless head and saucer‑shaped eyes stumbles forward. A steady drizzle of blood descends from its crown, painting its face, shoulders, and back a deep crimson.
No monster name, no mechanics, just the best descriptive flavor you can summon. Any type of creature is fine, but it must be at home in a dungeon. And the creature must be original because the winning monsters will become a part of Midgard, getting designed and illustrated by the Kobolds for the pages of Warlock in an issue next year devoted to Midgard’s mega-dungeon, the Scarlet Citadel! Winners will also receive a copy of that issue, and the Grand Prize winner will also win a copy of the Warlock Grimoire.
So pour your soul into that description, and make us simply have to pick yours because it’s a monster that is just screaming to be designed, that needs to be in everyone’s game. Show us what conflict our games are missing. But remember, no more than 60 words (which is about twice the average descriptive text in order to give you a little more freedom). NO MORE THAN 60 WORDS! Entries over that will be fed to the otyugh.
Full details in the rules below:
Finalists: creature designed and illustrated, and the art + the Scarlet Citadel issue of Warlock (print)—total retail value approximately $65.
Grand prize: creature designed and illustrated, and the art + the Scarlet Citadel issue of Warlock (print) + Warlock Grimoire (print)—total retail value approximately $95.
Who Is Judging?
Our talented and experienced panel of judges are as follows: Wolfgang Baur, Marc Radle, and Clinton J. Boomer.
Read the contest rules below—they include very important information about making an eligible submission.
By submitting an entry to Kobold Press, you are entering the Kobold Press (the “Sponsor” or “Kobold Press”) My Monster Contest (the “Contest”).
As an entrant, you (“you” or “entrant”) represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Rules and agree to be bound by these Official Rules and any other requirements designated by Sponsor. The Contest is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If entrant is a minor in entrant’s place of residence, entrant’s parent or legal guardian must agree, on entrant’s behalf and on his or her own behalf, to follow and be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of Sponsor relating to the Contest.
1. Who is Eligible: The Contest is open to anyone who is at least thirteen (13) years old at the time of entry. Employees of Kobold Press and each of their immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and members of their same households (related or not) are not eligible to participate in the Contest. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2. How to Enter: To enter, follow these instructions:
Send an email with your submission to the “My Monster” contest at scott(at)koboldpress(dot)com no later than October 16, 2019.
The submission must take the form of a single monster description not to exceed 60 words and taking the form a monster entry’s flavor text, embedded within the body of the email. On addition, include also a physical address in the email to which prizes should be sent in the eventuality that you win. One entry per person.
The email subject line should read My Monster Contest Submission in the email’s subject line. Your full name and contact information and the entry should be the only content of the email.
LIMIT ONE ENTRY PER PERSON. Multiple entries received in violation of this entry limitation, or false or deceptive acts or entries, or entries generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any other means that subvert the entry process will be void and will render an entrant ineligible. By entering the Contest, each entrant (and his/her parent or legal guardian) fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
3. Dates and Deadlines: Eligible entries must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on October 16, 2019. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
4. Who Will Win: On or about October 23, 2019, four (4) finalists will be selected by the Sponsor from all eligible entries received. All decisions made by Sponsor on all matters relating to the Contest are final and binding. The finalists will be notified on or around October 23, 2019, via the email address provided by entrant at the time of entry. If a winner does not respond to the notification sent to the email address he or she provided after two (2) notifications have been sent by Sponsor, such winner will be disqualified and will forfeit the finalist position. In such event, the finalist position will be awarded to another eligible entrant chosen from the remaining pool of entries in accordance with the terms set forth herein. Finalist prizes will be fulfilled approximately one (1) month after the conclusion of the Contest. The finalists will be announced on the Kobold Press website, and then the voting public will choose an entry from among these four (4) to be the sole winner of the contest’s grand prize. Voting for the grand prize winner will close on or around October 30, 2019, and announced on Halloween.
5. Prize Information and Approximate Retail Value: Four (4) finalists will be awarded a prize pack consisting of the following:
- Finalists:creature designed and illustrated, and the art + the Scarlet Citadel issue of Warlock (print)—total retail value approximately $65.
One grand prize winner will be awarded a prize pack consisting of the following:
- Grand prize: creature designed and illustrated, and the art + the Scarlet Citadel issue of Warlock (print) + Warlock Grimoire (print)—total retail value approximately $95.
If winner (finalist or grand prize) is a minor in his/her place of residence, the prize will be awarded to winner’s parent/legal guardian. Each winner (his/her parent or legal guardian in the case of a prize awarded to such parent or guardian) must provide his/her mailing address to Sponsor and must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release/publicity release (except where prohibited) and any other legal documents that Sponsor may require, within five (5) business days from notification in order to receive the prize, which will be provided by Sponsor to the address provided. Prizes are not transferable, assignable, or redeemable for cash. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may substitute a prize of equal or greater value than the prize identified herein. If any winner or winner’s parent/legal guardian either fails to timely provide his/her mailing address or declines a prize or fails to comply with any of the Official Rules as outlined herein, or if any prize is returned as undeliverable, such winner will be disqualified and an alternate finalist or winner may be selected at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Winners (winner’s parent or guardian in the case of a prize awarded to such parent or guardian) are solely responsible for paying all applicable federal, state and local taxes, and all other expenses associated with any prize.
6. Disqualification: Failure to comply with these Official Rules will result in disqualification. Further, an entrant’s entry will be disqualified, at the sole discretion of Sponsor, if he or she attempts (a) to enter the Contest through any means other than described in these Official Rules; or (b) to disrupt the Contest, circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, or in any way tampers with any component of the Contest. If any of the above occurs, Sponsor has the right to remedy any such action, disruption, or circumvention, and to seek damages from the participant to the fullest extent permitted by law.
7. Limitations of Liability: Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for any claims, damages, lawsuits, causes of action, proceedings, or liability due to any injuries, theft, damages, expenses, costs, or losses to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting from, arising from, or in connection with: (i) any error, typographical or otherwise, in the printing of the Official Rules, offering or announcement of any prize; (ii) any lost, late, stolen, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or garbled entries; (iii) any error in the collection or retention of entry information, including but not limited to incorrect or inaccurate transcription, receipt or transmission of any part of the entry due to human error; (iv) any wrongful, negligent, or unauthorized act or omission on the part of the Sponsor or its agencies or any of their agents or employees; (v) the Contest and any elements thereof, and the participation or inability to participate in the Contest, including, but not limited to, any damage to an entrant’s (or any third person’s) telephone system and/or its contents or computer equipment and/or its contents or smartphone device and/or its contents, related to or resulting from any part of the Contest; (vi) any malfunction of the telephone system or internet servers, whether technical or due to human error, lost/delayed data transmission, omissions, interruptions, deletion, defect, line failures, postponement, cancellation, or modification of the Contest, including, but not limited to, interruption or inability to access the Contest due to hardware or software compatibility problems of any telephone network (TSP), computer online systems (ISP), servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website or any combination thereof, including injury or damage to entrant’s or to any other person’s telephone or computer or smartphone system related to or resulting from participating; (vii) acceptance, receipt, possession, attendance at, travel related to, defects in, misuse, inability to use, or use of any prize element contained in any prize including, but not limited to, lost, stolen, damaged, delayed, or misdirected or destroyed prize (or any element thereof); or (viii) any change in the prizing (or any components thereof) due to unavailability due to reasons beyond Sponsor’s control, including, but not limited to, by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not such action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), equipment failure including, but not limited to, overloading of the Contest site due to excessive use, threatened or actual terrorist acts, air raid(s), blackout(s), act(s) of public enemy, earthquake, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic(s), explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond the Sponsor’s sole and reasonable control. In the event of sabotage, acts of God, terrorism, computer virus, worm, bug or other events or causes which corrupt the integrity, administration, security or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. In the event of termination, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to award the prizes from among all non-suspect eligible entries received up to the time of such action. In no event will more than six (6) prizes be awarded.
8. Liability Release: By participating in the Contest, each entrant and entrant’s parent/legal guardian agrees to forever and irrevocably release, discharge, indemnify, and hold the Sponsor and each of their employees, affiliates, and all prize suppliers, harmless from any and all liability, losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind in connection with the Contest, or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, including, without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy, whether suffered by entrant or a third party. By entering the Contest, each entrant and entrant’s parent/legal guardian agrees to abide by and accept as final the judges’ decisions and waives any right to appeal.
9. Publicity Release: By accepting a prize, each winner and winner’s parent/legal guardian grants Sponsor permission to use, except where prohibited by law, winner’s name (including online screen name, if applicable), and likeness, and address (city and state only), for Sponsor’s advertising and promotional purposes in all forms of media, throughout the world in perpetuity, without notice or additional compensation.
10. Information Disclosure: The information you submit in the Contest is disclosed to Kobold Press at PO Box 2811, Kirkland, WA 98083.
11. Sponsor: This Contest is sponsored by Kobold Press, PO Box 2811, Kirkland, WA 98083.