To celebrate the Southlands Kickstarter, we have some things you might stumble across at the oasis. You can roll randomly for a result below, use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- A series of carved wooden masks are floating above the water.
- Someone appears to have built a defensible building out of sand and dirt near the oasis, but the entire structure crumbles at the first touch of a mortal being. All that is left on top of the pile is a faceted topaz.
- The fountain that erupts from the middle of the oasis contains faces that are screaming in torment.
- The water of the oasis is so clear that you can see coins of many nations at the bottom. But you also see eyes, and they’re blinking at you.
- Someone decided that it would be pleasant to decorate the area with the speared bodies of ghuls that aren’t quite defeated yet. Or maybe they left to get something to finish the job? These ghuls are twitching at the end of faintly luminescent spears but are also seemingly still pinned to the ground…which might or might not withstand the supernatural sandstorm that is threatening the area.
- The sand that spreads out from the oasis shimmers with a different color every few moments. At night, it glows with these colors.
- Fig trees bearing golden figs are growing in the area. The figs are edible after a fashion, though they taste terrible and cause the imbiber’s irises to turn to a molten gold hue.
- The birds here look unnatural or off somehow. Closer watch indicates that they’re not breathing. Are they even alive?
- Two scimitars battle endlessly through the greenery of the oasis but never once approach the water.
- Words carved into a tree trunk say, “Beware the vampiric djinn.”
- As you watch, the vegetation in the area shimmers out of existence and then back in a few seconds later. But it’s different vegetation. What’s going on here?
- The blast of cold air that you feel when you enter the oasis nearly knocks you off your feet. You can see your breath hanging in the air now.