People and creatures use the hollows inside trees for a variety of things. Below are some possibilities for your game. You can roll randomly for a result below, use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- Six kittens are purring within it. The momma cat acknowledges you with a “brrrt” sound and seems laid back.
- The ant inside this tree is the size of your head. When taken out, it shrinks to normal size for that type of ant.
- The inside of the hollow has been painted white, except for the words that state: “Trace these words to enter a new world.”
- There does not seem to be an end to this hollow. The tree is big enough and the hollow is big enough that you could step inside—but do you dare?
- Touching the inside of the hollow causes the tree to shake and rumble, as if giggling in a very deep voice.
- A pink flame flickers within the tree. It does not go out regardless of what you do to it.
- The top of the tree erupts into a wave of bats—or stirges—when you place something inside the tree.
- A piece of folded parchment states: “Wait here until midnight.”
- A thumb-sized ball drops from inside the tree. Then another a minute later. Then another a minute after that. Each one bounces out of the tree and down into a nearby pond.
- The tree attempts to bite whatever you put within that hollow.
- You are pulled into the tree and end up being spit out of the hollow of another tree. Where are you now?
- A voice whispers, “Use not the hollow within my tree, mortal, unless you seek to pay the price for doing so. I can keep anything safe from those who seek it, but you must provide me with a boon upon my request for this service.”