Your stalwart adventurers might have faced down a gelatinous cube or two in their heroic lifetimes. If not, or if you want to throw another one at them, here are some interesting things to place inside that classic monster. If you want to roll randomly for one, use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- The halfling skeleton inside has a beaked mask floating near its skull, plus what must have been a bronze metallic cloak.
- You’re not sure how a flock of geese got inside this particular cube, but clearly one of them was the goose that laid the golden egg—there’s also a golden egg within this cube.
- There are so many stirges in this cube that it’s blackened with them. That must have been quite the feast for the cube.
- Enough place settings for a 12-person meal are floating around inside the cube. The china is delicate and rimmed with gold.
- A collection of eye patches swirls around inside the cube. And is that a peg leg? And a hook?
- A bronze whirligig happily whirls away within the cube, churning it up a bit on the inside.
- Someone put a bunch of metallic letters inside the cube. To what purpose? And is that a holy symbol for the rather evil and nasty god of secrets? [Use the cube to craft a word puzzle.]
- Around fifty keys of different sizes, shapes, and metals float within the cube.
- A vial of shimmering liquid floats within the cube. A metal note proclaims “DRINK ME!!!” within it. Whether the note means to drink the vial or the cube is up to you.
- An open decanter of endless water is causing the cube to weep water.
- Apparently a glitter fairy exploded inside the cube. It’s festive and sparkly. All it needs is a dancing lights array to create quite the light show.
- Someone put about twenty wind-up toys in the cube—recently. They’re wound up and trying to march through the cube.