Our best-selling series continues! The Kobold Guide to Game Design Volume III: Tools &Techniques goes even deeper into the territory of professional design with a dozen essays by an all-star lineup of industry veterans including:
- Award-winning designer and publisher Wolfgang Baur
- 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons designer Monte Cook
- 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons designer Rob Heinsoo
- New York Times best-selling author Ed Greenwood
- Videogame and tabletop RPG designer Colin McComb
Readers will find nearly 100 pages of tips, tricks, and how-to guidance from the pros about:
- Designing combat systems
- Sandbox and event-driven adventure design
- Working well in collaborative design
- Optimizing encounters for roleplaying
- Creating memorable characters and dastardly plots
- The principles of 4th Edition design
- …and more!
The Kobold Guide to Game Design Volume III is a great resource for professional designers and GMs who want to take their homebrew campaigns to the next level.
Instead of me heaping praise on the authors of this book (indeed, they are all luminaries in the field) I will offer several suggestions for the potential purchaser. Get out that old notebook youve had since 7th grade. While this book is ultimately intended for the next level guys trying to get to published, I think that it will serve your average Game Master very well. If your players get up and wander around or check their facebook page while you are stumbling through the read-aloud text, you might want to purchase this book and the first two entries of the series.
While reading the collected essays (a free review copy) I wrote my self a couple of dozen yellow stickies and scribbled furiously in my notebook. Will this book help me get published? Not sure, but it will help me be a better game master.