Lobbies and foyers are decorated with the strangest things. If a local official or minor dignitary isn’t sure how to pay their bill, use the following table to add a little variety to your loot or let it serve as inspiration for a story hook. The value of the items can vary at the GM’s discretion but are suitable replacements for a significant amount of coinage or as the centerpiece for a more significant collection, although they could be worth more to the right person. You can roll randomly for a result below using the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d20. You can also pick one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
1. An elegant, polished driftwood sculpture depicting a griffon and small dragon mid-combat. The intricate detail and delicate features demonstrate a mastery of the craft, even to a layperson.
2. A shoulder-height rough cut blue crystal spire surrounded by a handful of gently orbiting uncut crystal fragments. The floating fragments resist movement as though tethered to the spire by steel cord.
3. A finely sculpted marble bust of a middle-aged, balding bureaucrat. The moment that you make eye contact with the statue, it acknowledges your presence with a wink.
4. A large, fat gray rodent with bright eyes, enormous ears, a lustrous coat, and a brush-like tail gazes out at you from the confines of tidy, square black cage.
5. What you can only assume is meant to be an enormous glass depiction of a crab.
6. A huge bolt of brilliant purple fabric, in excellent condition despite its obvious age. The fabric seems impossibly thin and weightless to the touch, suggesting that there must be thousands of yards of it.
7. A petite golden music box that presents a small clockwork scene of an elaborate wedding ceremony when opened.
8. A brilliantly colored bright silk tapestry animated to depict a quiet wooded hill overlooking a pond. It is incredibly relaxing.
9. Some small, bejeweled gauntlets, suitable less for protection and more for display or ceremony.
10. A carved wooden mask depicting a snarling animal face with sharpened teeth and painted in brilliant yellows and reds to resemble flame.
11. A padded metal case filled with a hundred tiny figurines depicting warriors of various races, all obviously hand assembled and painted with great care. A half-painted kobold figure on top is especially well-sculpted.
12. A slim metal case containing a handful of beautiful, pearl-handled darts with sharpened emerald tips wrapped in a soft cloth.
13. A slim, blown-glass bottle filled with a shimmering golden liquid. The bottle is sealed with a cork and wax, and the label is hand-written in a language you do not recognize. The fraction 1/500 is neatly penned in the bottom right corner.
14. An embroidered silk purse with polished silver clasps and beaded with precious stones.
15. A masterfully executed painting depicting the aftermath of a horrific battle; pain and fear radiates from every living face. In the lower left corner is a familiar signature.
16. A small beige oilcloth sack embroidered neatly with the word ‘CHEESE.’ You can smell it from halfway across the room.
17. A folding leather wallet filled with strangely colored bits of paper. Tucked within, you also find a small pewter badge showing the symbol of a great wyrm atop a castle wall, with the intials ‘GG’ on its reverse.
18. Some sickeningly cute porcelain cat figurines with giant eyes, posed in various cat-like activities, such as playing with a ball of yarn or hiding inside a boot.
19. A small velvet coin purse, which when opened releases a single beautiful butterfly but is otherwise empty. The butterfly flutters gently just above your reach.
20. Half a dozen egg-sized polished stones in various natural hues, resting in a pile. Every sound echoes quietly from them.