Deserts aren’t as featureless as one might think—and some have remarkable landmarks that might engage a sense of wonder or curiosity. You can roll randomly for a result below, or use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- The Frozen Cacti is chill to the touch. Plucking a blossom from it provides travelers with a cooling sensation for 24 hours.
- The little burrowing creatures that seemingly leap from the sand and dive back down tell you that a spring of fresh water lies not far beneath the surface. These creatures chitter, speaking random phrases in a variety of languages.
- The strands of a vast web catch the light of the sun. You find a long-dead adventurer wrapped up in webbing not too many paces away. While already scavenged, the adventurer clasps a note that says: “The treasure is under the web’s center.”
- A stone structure twice as tall as a human has a dancing blue humanoid-shaped flame at the top. When you approach it bows toward you, then tosses something at your feet: A smooth stone that glows faintly.
- Alabaster stones stretch out before you in a large circle, and several wind funnels unceasingly wander across the stones. You see a well in the middle of this stone circle.
- The bottom half of a statue that stands 20 ft. tall indicates that a proud humanoid warrior once stood guard over the oasis in front of you. Someone has scrawled this into the stone of the legs: “The upper half shows no remorse.”
- The giant sand scorpion stinger is all the remains of the creature. Strange flora grows around it, glowing greenly in either light or dark conditions. Touching the flora imbues a creature with a green glow as well.
- A hut surrounded by a rose garden seems to be out of place amid the scrublands you’ve entered. Tiny fey creatures beckon you to visit.
- Before you races a pack of oversized feline creatures. Riding on the one in the lead is a woman with lightning for hair and skin the color of ebony. She looks at you, then hurls something your way: A succulent fruit lands at your feet. “Eat, and by doing so you join my hunt!” she cries out. “Undead must die!” Ahead of her, you see headstones and statuary rising from the sands.
- The giant scarab shell that dominates the view in front of you houses all manner of creatures now. A stone marker proclaims: “Scarabtown is open to all who keep their minds open. Please remove your footgear before entering Scarabtown and you will be rewarded for your obedience.”
- The untended shrine appears to have been consecrated in the name of many gods. A silver whistle on a strand of sinew hangs from a spike in the sandstone structure.
- A path formed from books and papyrus stretches out in front of you. You can’t make out the titles of the books or the lettering, however.