Collection of Curiosities: Behind the Gemstone
So, your shiny object expert decides that it’s a good idea to pry that gemstone out of place. But, what’s behind that gemstone? Surely something unusual. If you want to roll randomly for one, use the handy number provided with each entry to figure out your result on a d12. You can also pick the one that works for the area in which your characters currently linger.
- Yep, you just found the opening to an awful smell and some kind of decomposing and seemingly endless stream of horrid goop.
- A knitted cap that’s the size of a baby’s head was stashed in a hole behind the gemstone. It’s very colorful and has a fluffy ball on top.
- Out comes one rabbit. Out comes a second rabbit. Out comes a third rabbit. Uh-oh. The next one is NOT a normal-sized rabbit. The teeth! And it’s getting bigger!
- The peephole behind the gemstone gives you a clear view of the room behind the wall. Why are those kobolds dancing?
- The gemstone disappears from your hand and shows up back in the spot from which you took it. Now it’s a different type of gemstone.
- The shower of balloons, streamers, and glitter that falls down from above might not really be all that amusing to you—especially since it’s accompanied by a lot of loud noises and some sort of raucous horn salute. Or maybe it is?
- You didn’t need the hand holding that gemstone, right? Oh, look. There’s a hand gesturing at you from the cavity behind where the gemstone used to be.
- Did the gemstone always have a pupil? Did the socket containing the gemstone just blink, too? And why is the gemstone warm?
- The purple beam of light that shines from the area behind the gemstone makes your teeth itch. It’s resonating somehow. What is the light doing to the opposite wall?
- A fluffy white form pops out from the hole behind the gemstone, grows legs, and runs off so quickly that you’re not sure you even saw it to begin with. You can hear its high-pitched screams for quite awhile after it’s out of sight.
- A chorus of heavenly music sounds out as you release the gemstone from its spot, and a beam of light shines down on you. “You have freed me from my prison. Shall I now free you from yours? Yes, I think so. Be free, spirit, of your fleshy prison!” cries out an invisible presence in childlike joy.
- Congratulations! You’re holding the gemstone. You’re entirely you. Nothing horrible has hurt you or killed you or done anything nasty to you. Wait, though. You’re not entirely sure, but you think you’re now standing in the area where you last took a not insubstantial amount of damage from . . . wait, what was it again?